Saturday, May 25, 2013

Peachy Keen Salmon

It's time to start focusing on losing some of this baby weight - ugh. I was so excited to have lost 30 pounds the day I came home from the hospital. I was like, "oh this is going to be a breeze, especially since I'm going to breastfeed."

Yeah that didn't happen. 

Maybe some of you assholes (yes, I'm bitter) just produce milk by the boob-load and burn all that weight off, but that didn't happen for me.

Not even close. 

First, I didn't produce milk. I tried everything: oatmeal, Fenugreek, pumping after every feeding (yes, I would spend and hour feeding then another 30 minutes pumping, starting the process again 1.5 hours later)...actually, let's save that for another post. Let's just leave it at, we're on formula now and things are much better for everyone involved.

So here we are, four months later and, despite eating healthy(er - I mean there is always room for improvement) and getting back on the treadmill as soon as the doctor cleared me, I have not lost a pound. Not even half a pound. Complete standstill. It's so f-ing frustrating, especially all my other asshole friends seemed to have no trouble losing weight at all. But life's not fair and the sooner I accept that, the better.

Now that we're done breastfeeding and my body has seemed to reset itself, I feel like it's my chance to put away the maternity jeans. Well maybe, they are really comfy...anyway, the first thing we did was fill the house with fruits and vegetables and start planning healthy meals. 

My favorite new recipe so far is this Peachy Keep Salmon I made earlier this week.


Can you even see the salmon beneath the peachy, BBQ-y goodness?
So simple. So good. 
Nice and healthy!

I stopped at Whole Foods to load up on all their fancy veggies and decided to grab some salmon steaks. Salmon is not something we've really ever had, but my husband was willing to try it and I appreciate that.

I also picked up a bottled of BBQ sauce. I wanted something sweet rather than spicy and this Bourbon Peach BBQ sauce looked perfect.


I also picked up a few white nectarines and thought they would pair perfectly with the salmon and sauce. If you're never had a white nectarine, it's like a peach but sweeter and softer - so good!

The good news is that this dish looks impressive, but so ridiculously easy.

Here's how:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Line a pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
Pour a little sauce in the bottom of the pan
Add fish
Top with two chopped nectarines and the rest of the BBQ sauce.
Cook for 15-20 minutes one each side (although cooking time will vary depending on thickness of salmon - these were pretty thick)
Turn on the broiler and cook for another 15 minutes, turning once. This will give a little bit of a crust on the fish and will help caramelize the nectarines.

And thats it!

If all healthy meals are this delicious and healthy, then I may not be so bitter about this diet. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis